In the 19th century, Mr Barbe, a resident of Bordeaux, asked the Swiss architect Camille Martin (1877-1926) to build a private residence in the centre of Bordeaux. The original central building was built in 1895.
The street was then called rue Saint-Sernin, in honour of Jean de Saint-Sernin, director of the Institut des sourdes-muettes until his death in 1816. The city then renamed it after Abbé Charles-Michel de l'Épée, one of the precursors of specialised education for the deaf. He had notably participated in the creation of the Institution Nationale des sourdes-muettes in 1786, a historical monument still located at 87 rue de l'Abbé de l'Épée.
This 5-star hotel was first a private residence where various notable families of Bordeaux lived until 1968. Then a renowned doctor, whose activity as a physiotherapist required the installation of fitness and wellness areas for his patients, wished to extend the hotel. A new building was built in the garden.
The hotel was renamed Le Palais Gallien in homage to the life of the district in Gallo-Roman times. Only a few metres away, the amphitheatre of Bordeaux, nicknamed "Le Palais Gallien" by its inhabitants, remains the only vestige visited from the 2nd century. When Bordeaux was called Burdigala, this Roman arena was a central point of the city.
Plus qu’un hôtel de luxe, Le Palais Gallien Hôtel & Spa ***** est aussi un lieu incontournable de la vie bordelaise. Son restaurant gastronomique offre un cadre luxueux et chaleureux aussi bien pour des rendez-vous professionnels que des soirées conviviales entre amis.
Le restaurant gastronomique, La Table de Montaigne, laisse une large place à la cuisine du chef Oli Williamson.
Ouvert au public en plus des clients de l’hôtel, il n’est pas moins un lieu incontournable de la vie bordelaise.